La guerre des mondes is an American film realized by Byron Haskin, based on the novel of the same name by HG Wells and released in 1953.
Personal comments : Louis de Funès is not marked in the credits, he does not appears of the film but, he doubles the voice of Zippy :
He plays :
- 1 minute and 15 seconds at 4 minutes and 19 seconds ; he says : '' Mais c'est énorme !" "C'est une boule de feu !" "Si on allait voir, hein ?" "J'y vais, qui vient avec moi ?''
- 17 seconds at 17 minutes and 38 seconds ; he says : '' Tout de suite" "Hé ! le téléphone ne fonctionne plus !''
♦ Synopsis :
The community Linda Rosa, California, is marked by a meteorite, causing early forest fire near the town. Once the fire content, the celestial body was found, but it is radioactive and too hot to be considered. The sheriff leaves three men keep the crater. They will be faced with extraterrestrial intelligence is not carried on the discussion.
♦ Specification sheet :
- Original title : The War of the Worlds
- French title : La Guerre des mondes
- Realization : Byron Haskin
- Scenario : Barré Lyndon, based of the novel H. G. Wells
- Suits : Edith Head
- Photography : George Barnes
- Editing : Everett Douglas
- Music : Leith Stevens
- Production : George Pal et Frank Freeman Jr.
- Production company : Paramount Pictures
- Distribution company : Paramount Pictures
- Budget : 2 millions of dollars
- Country of origin : United States
- Language : English
- Format : Colors - 35 mm - 1,37:1 - Sound mono
- Genre : Science-fiction
- Duration : 85 minutes
- Dates exit :
- United States : 13 august 1953 (first at New York), 26 august 1953 (national output)
- French : 5 march 1954
♦ Distribution :
- Gene Barry : the doctor Clayton Forrester
- Ann Robinson : Sylvia Van Buren
- Les Tremayne : general Mann
- Robert O. Cornthwaite : the doctor Pryor
- Sandro Giglio : the doctor Bilderbeck
- Lewis Martin : the paster Matthew Collins
- Houseley Stevenson Jr. : assistant General Mann
- Paul Frees : the reporter radio
- William Phipps : Wash Perry
- Vernon Rich : the colonel Ralph Heffner
- Henry Brandon : a police officer on the crash site
- Jack Kruschen : Salvatore
- Cedric Hardwicke : the commentator
- Vittorio Cramer : the narrator
And among non-credited actors :
- Edgar Barrier : the professor McPherson
- Ivan Lebedeff : the doctor Gratzman
- Walter Sande : le sheriff Bogany
- Alvy Moore : Louis de Funès : man before the cinema
♦ Around the film :
- Pleased with the final result, the holders of rights in the work of the novelist offered to producer George Pal choose another of his novels. He did it in 1960 producing and directing The Time Machine.
- Producer George Pal appears in the film as a listener of the radio.
- Steven Spielberg insisted that the two main actors in the film, Gene Barry and Ann Robinson, make an appearance in his own version (the grandparents who appear at the end of the film).
- The famous novel tripods are replaced in this version by flying machines as it soon became clear that it would be impossible to create tripod with flexible and credible movements. However, in some ways, you can see the son now in the air flying machines.